Everything included in a reusable, waste free lunch can be reused, eaten, recycled, or composted. To help avoid contact with toxic chemicals in lunches that may be harmful to our health, lunch gear should also be free from the chemicals Bisphenol A BPA, phthalates, PVCs, lead, and other heavy metals to name some. Disposable lunches, include things that over time can cost us more money, particularly when purchasing small prepackaged foods instead of bulk foods, are frequently made with harmful chemicals, like BPA and lead, which can negatively influence our health, and give to waste in our landfills and pollution to our environment.
To pack a reusable, waste free lunch instead of a disposable one, you should try to:
- Invest in a non toxic, reusable lunch bag instead of using a disposable one
- Use a reusable, stainless steel or glass water bottle instead of a disposable bottle or carton
- Try reusable utensils like bamboo or stainless steel instead of plastic utensils
- Pack a cloth napkin instead of paper napkins< to get reusable snack bags and reusable sandwich bags instead of plastic baggies, foil, or plastic wrap
- Use safe, reusable food containers like glass or stainless steel to pack new, healthy food instead of purchasing prepackaged foods and get reusable glass or stainless steel straws instead of plastic straws